skid row carnival of love
Every January the Skid Row Carnival of Love comes to town. The Skid Row Carnival of Love is an initiative founded by Justin Baldoni in 2015, that is working to build community by providing resources and love to the often times forgotten, and overlooked sector of our city: Los Angeles’ homeless population of Skid Row.
We create a carnival that is tailor made for the beautiful people of Los Angeles who are experiencing homelessness in, or around Skid Row. For one day, there is no us or them. No rich or poor. It’s simply about: unconditional love and coming together as a community.
The Skid Row Carnival of Love is Los Angeles’ fastest growing community event benefiting and celebrating those currently experiencing homelessness on, or around, Skid Row. Through a partnership with the City of Los Angeles, and Mayor Garcetti, the goal of the carnival is to shine a light on those experiencing homelessness and provide them with needed resources, while creating a bridge between the endemic population of Skid Row and its volunteers, coming from not just Los Angeles but all over country. With over 1,500 volunteers, and 4,000 attendees in 2017, the Skid Row Carnival of Love plans to expand beyond Los Angeles in 2018, partnering with cities and communities around the country to put on their own carnival to embrace, and empower, their own homeless residents.
Skid Row Carnival of Love 2018 Info
What Services does the Carnival Provide?
Along with the donation of clothing, toys, blankets, hygiene products, and toiletries, some of the services offered at the Carnival of Love are:
- Health (medical and mental services, dental, blood pressure tests, HIV testing, etc.)
- Legal advice
- Career Opportunities (resume building, interview prep, interviews by participating companies, and opportunities to enroll in programs like Good Will WorkSource)
- Spa area with feet washing, hair cutting, barbers, showers, and more
- DMV issuing identification cards
- Food and carnival snacks
- Kid area (bounce house, yoga, rock climbing, crafts, etc.)
- Creative area for all ages (painting and crafts)
- Dog grooming, referrals for free vet care, and donation center
- Carnival games